Thursday, December 3, 2009

My Reading List for 12/03/09 and More Uncensored Opinions on the President's Handling of the Afghan War

Hey! For my class tonight, I'm reading Elizabeth Inchbald's Such Things Are (1787). Like the previous selection I read and discussed here this semester, this play deals with feminist and multi-cultural issues. For example, one of the female characters is from India, and there is much discussion and debate about Eastern vs. Western culture and values throughout the play's five acts. Again, I'm pleased to be reading about these issues from a feminine perspective.
Now, as I promised in this post's title, I'll regale y'all with more uncensored opinions on President Obama's handling of the Afghan War. For starters, he's vowed that Afghanistan will not become another Vietnam. Secondly, I seriously trust that he will study U.S. military history rigorously and will get our guys (and gals) out of there ASAP. In addition, being the way that he is (read: intellectual), President Obama will more than likely study history in general, especially bios of past world leaders like Alexander the Great, whose ultimate undoing was Afghanistan. After all, Lincoln studied military and world history during the Civil War and discussed his findings with his generals. Finally, Afghan President Hamid Karzai has stated that he is willing to negotiate with Taliban stronghold Pakistan in order to bring about some semblance of peace in the region. I just hope that Karzai and Pakistan are willing to negotiate with President Obama, who will most certainly try to negotiate with Afghanistan and Pakistan.
Okay, I've got a class to teach and reading to do, so until next time, peace.

No comments: