Saturday, November 21, 2009

Some More Thoughts on the State of Religion and Spirituality in America

I read this article today about a new Iowa State University Atheist and Agnostic Society that has formed on the school's Ames campus. The article focused mainly on the differences between students who practice militant, reactionary forms of atheism and agnosticism and those who try to co-exist peacefully with their peers. In the conclusion, author Eric Gorski writes that the majority of American college students classify themselves as spiritual seekers.
Anyway, this story really got me thinking about my own beliefs. I consider myself a spiritual seeker, and I definitely believe in peaceful co-existence with all my fellow human beings. I was brought up in a fairly devout Christian (Disciples of Christ, to be exact) home and still maintain a number of the values I was raised with. However, certain current events, especially the wars, have forced me to question traditional Christianity. I suppose that if I had to categorize myself (I don't believe in labels), I would say that I was a 'questioning Christian pacifist who is open to learning about and assimilating alternative belief systems.'

1 comment:

Tom Bailey said...

Take what I share as viewpoint only and NOT truth. It is just my viewpoint.

I think all have a place. What I think christianity does is provide better assistance for the homeless and hungry in urgent need on larger scales than gov. does effectively or other not christian groups do.

I like things in yoga and spirituality as well, hindu, budist and exestentialism but they are less effective at providing for the poor or Ghandi would have been in the US and Mother Teresa would have been thanking him for feeding and helping our poor. Clearly there are other variables too.

Hopefully my viewpoint co-exists well with yours I like your blog.