Monday, November 2, 2009

Best Lonesome Dove Quotes from Parts III & IV of Miniseries

Howdy, y'all! Yesterday I discussed my fave quotes from the first half of the Lonesome Dove miniseries. Accordingly, I will talk about the best ones from the second half today. (Warning: Some of these quotes and/or accompanying analyses may contain spoilers.)
Best Quotes from Pt. III: The Plains:
1.) "Men are not supposed to leave their own country and go travelin' elsewhere."-- Joshua Deets (Danny Glover), the most spiritual member of the outfit, basically saying that he has a bad vibe about the trip. Yes, this quote is a foreshadowing of bad things to come.
2.) "Well, she's a lady who can slash your jugular quicker than a Comanche. Clara's got a sharp tongue. She's tomahawked me many a time in the past. You'll like her."-- Gus' description of his (married) onetime sweetheart-- Clara Allen (nee Forsythe)-- who lives with her husband and two daughters on a ranch outside Ogalalla, Nebraska; Gus is consoling a concerned Lorie after he confesses to her that Clara is the "only reason he come on this trip [cattledrive to Montana]." (According to my family, this is a pretty dang accurate description of my personality. LOL!)
3.) "Oh, I never noticed you havin' accidents with ugly girls!"-- Clara's (Anjelica Huston) best line. Clara is upset that Gus has brought young, pretty Lorie with him to see Clara, given the fact that Clara and Gus haven't seen each other in sixteen years; Gus had previously told Clara that it was an accident Lorie was even on the trip in the first place.
4.) "No, I won't marry again. As time goes on, I've got less and less use for grown men, and I've met very few who were honest. You ain't one of 'em, Gus."-- Soon-to-be-widowed Clara breaking Gus' heart for good by telling him that they don't have a future together
5.) "Sure, I'll be back. A lady's man like me can't be expected to resist such a passle of beauties!"-- Gus telling Clara, Lorie, and Clara's gals that he'll come back from Montana to spend the rest of his life with these beautiful women he loves (a very sweet scene)
Best Quotes from Pt. IV: Return:
1.) "It's a dangerous business-- writin' to two women at the same time."-- Another classic Gus-ism. Here, he's on his deathbed and writing letters to Clara and Lorie as Woodrow keeps vigil.
2.) "Back to Texas? You me want to haul you back to Texas?"-- Woodrow's very Woodrow response to Gus' burial request, which is to be buried in "Clara's Orchard," which is located down by that lil' creek in San Antonio; Gus and Clara used to picnic (and quarrel!) there.
3.) "Aye God, Woodrow, it's been quite a party, ain't it?"-- Gus' last words, which say it all
4.) "I guess that old woman didn't teach you to fly after all."-- Woodrow's reaction to the death of half-breed outlaw Blue Duck (Frederic Forrest), whom Gus and Woodrow had pursued unsuccessfully throughout their careers as Texas Rangers
5.) "A man of vision, you say? Yeah, helluva vision!"-- The last lines in the film, spoken by Woodrow, who has just returned to Lonesome Dove after hauling Gus from Montana to Texas and burying him as requested. Woodrow utters these lines after a newspaper reporter from San Antonio, wanting to interview Woodrow, tells Capt. Call that lots of people are calling him this. The scene is accompanied by powerful flashbacks of characters and scenes from the whole miniseries. I swear, if y'all don't tear up, something is seriously wrong. LOL!
(Stay tuned, folks. There are so many great quotes in this movie that I've decided to include a "bonus list," which I reckon I'll post on Saturday.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Those quotes are all fantastic and bring back great memories. I can see exactly what's happening in each scene as I was reading them. Then again, I've watched Lonesome Dove about 10 times. Thanks for your post, Ashley.