Thursday, November 19, 2009

My Reading List for 11/19/09

Hello! For those interested, I'm reading another fabulous Restoration-era British play for my class tonight. This one's called The Belle's Stratagem, which was written by Hannah Cowley and originally published in 1782. An answer to George Farquhar's The Beaux' Stratagem (1707)-- a play I read earlier this semester-- this play tackles some very contemporary subject matter, including education for women and the concept of marrying purely for love and companionship. I'm thrilled to finally be reading something written from a lady's point of view for a change of pace, and I'm loving this play. Next to Thomas Otway's tragedy Venice Preserved (which I'm going to re-read in order to write my research proposal), Cowley's The Belle's Stratagem is the best work of literature I've read this fall.

No comments: