Monday, November 16, 2009

Just Reminiscin'

Last night, my brother, Austin, and I decided to try out the new Mexican restaurant in town. When we sat down to enjoy our fajitas, refried beans, rice, and chips and salsa, we started talking about our childhoods and our holiday memories. We discussed our Tex-Mex-infused celebrations at home, church, and school as well as what aspects of the season we're looking forward to this year. Then, it dawned on me: We're growing up! Even though we're very different from each other in so many ways and often drive each other crazy (e.g., my alleged incessant rambling; Austin's, uh, unbridled redneckiness)-- we're brother and sister and we love one another to death. Our family's been through some difficulties lately, and Austin's been there for me in a number of ways. I couldn't imagine life without that guy.
Okay, the purpose of this little anecdote is to illustrate the importance of family unity, especially during tough times. Your fam might drive you insane on a frequent basis, but at the end of the day, you just laugh and realize that you wouldn't trade 'em for anything.

No comments: