Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Various News & Views from the Ashleyverse and Beyond

There's lots of news and views in the Ashleyverse and beyond today. Having made that statement, let me get straight to the point.

In Ashleyverse news, I'm putting the finishing touches on the Eurotrip application process. I filled out an online academic scholarship/study abroad grant app this morning, and I'll find out if I'll get it sometime in March. Then, either Thursday or Friday-- whichever day ends up working best-- I'm going to register for my passport. So, that's the big Ashleyverse news for 01/27/10.

In national and world news, President Obama is set to give his very first State of the Union address tonight at 9 PM EST. He will focus on the U.S. economic recovery effort and the still unresolved health-care reform debate. Progressives in Congress are now pushing Senate majority leader Harry Reid to reconsider including a public option in health-care-related legislation. As a progressive, I believe we need a public option, for, as I was so eloquently and gently reminded yesterday by a reader in the midst of my bleeding-heart exhibition of global perspectivism in regards to Haitian earthquake relief, we need to take care of our own. If we are to be an example for the rest of the world, we need to first work to alleviate the suffering of our fellow Americans. Then and only then will we become a truly great nation.

Well, there you have it folks-- news and views from the Ashleyverse and beyond. Until next time, peace in all areas of your lives.

No comments: