Thursday, January 14, 2010

My Reading List for 01/14/10

Hey, y'all! I'm going to take a break from all that heavy-duty stuff today in order to discuss what I'm reading for my EIU classes this semester. For 19th-century American literature, I'm reading James Fenimore Cooper's tale of life in the American colonies some two decades before the Revolutionary War, The Last of the Mohicans (1826). This is just one in a series of Cooper's Natty Bumppo, or Hawk-eye, tales. (And, yes, the M*A*S*H character is nicknamed after Hawk-eye in the book.) Anyway, I've seen the 1992 film adaptation, starring Daniel Day-Lewis (uber-hottie alert!) as "Nathaniel" and Madeleine Stowe as his love interest, Cora. Thus, I'm really excited about reading the book. We'll also be reading The Pioneers (1823), the first of Cooper's Leatherstocking tales (another name for the Natty Bumppo stories). Later in the semester, we'll be reading the works of Herman Melville (Moby Dick; Billy Budd, Sailor; "Bartleby, the Scrivener") and Stephen Crane (The Red Badge of Courage; Maggie: A Girl of the Streets; "The Open Boat"), Nathaniel Hawthorne (The Scarlet Letter; "Young Goodman Brown"), and Frederick Douglass (Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass), among a number of other literary greats. Yay!

In addition to this class, I'm also taking a literary criticism and theory class. So, I'm going to have a pretty busy, crazy semester, but that's how I like it. It really helps that I enjoy the subject matter I'm studying. Alright, I have to get busy reading Cooper and a couple of critical essays about the English language right now. Peace, Love, & Happiness.

1 comment:

Evie said...

I really like historical literture. It's something about that era that I can relate to. Isn't that weird.