Saturday, January 30, 2010

How I'm "Celebrating" the Last Weekend of My 20s

Well, folks, I've officially entered the twilight of my 20s. This coming Wednesday is my 30th birthday. I'm basically excited about it, but I have been feeling a little emotional and reflective this weekend (surprise! surprise!). Anyway, I have a vibe that there's going to be a lot of really big, mostly positive changes in the Ashleyverse this year. My main goals are to complete my master's degree, find that special someone, take that life-altering Eurotrip and make the most of my time "across the pond," and continue down the path to a fulfilling, rewarding career as a university professor.

As far as what I'm doing to celebrate this momentous occasion, the main thing on the agenda is to read, read, read. Hawthorne's portable tales are wonderful. He's a much better writer than Cooper. Unlike Cooper, Hawthorne gets right into the plot and character development; furthermore, Hawthorne doesn't spend half the text describing scenery and every single minute detail, like Cooper does. It's like, 'Okay, I understand that New York State in the 18th century was heavily wooded and had majestic mountains!' No kidding-- in an almost-500-page book, Cooper spends the first 150 pages talking about the dang-blasted scenery. Of course, I'm doing more fun things than reading for school. First, my mom, brother, and sister are taking me out to see It's Complicated tomorrow night, and my mom's going to cook me Southern-style porkchops and bake a red velvet cake. Yum, yum! (So much for all those New Year's fitness-related goals!) Then, my BFF, Jenn, is taking me out for a late dinner after I get done with class Tuesday night. Overall, I'm pretty excited about turning 30.

No comments: