Sunday, January 17, 2010

Ashleyverse Golden Globes "Special" & Predictions

The 67th Annual Golden Globes Awards will air live on NBC at 8 PM EST Sunday, Jan. 17, 2010 (tonight, of course), and will be broadcast from the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills, Calif. The host for this event-- which is unique in that it will the very first live telecast in the ceremony's history-- is Ricky Gervais, star of the British version of The Office. There's a lot of buzz surrounding this year's nominees. (Actually, I don't really have anything "special" for y'all today, but I will make a few predictions.) In terms of movies, the big fave is Titanic director James Cameron's big-budget sci-fi/social commentary vehicle-- Avatar. (I haven't seen this movie yet, so I'm really not qualified to offer my opinions on its odds of winning.) Other nominated films include: Nine (ensemble-cast musical starring Nicole Kidman, Kate Hudson, Fergie, Penelope Cruz, and Marion Cotillard, among others), Precious, Iraq War drama The Hurt Locker, the Brad Pitt WWII film Inglorious Basterds, and George Clooney's latest-- Up in the Air. Okay, this is tough, but I predict that either Precious or Up in the Air will get it. (For a complete list of nominees in all categories, consult Wikipedia by entering "67th Annual Golden Globes Awards" in the search field.) Next, there's big-time buzz surrounding best actor/actress nominations, especially in regards to the perennially great Meryl Streep's dual nominations for performances in Julie & Julia and It's Complicated. I hope and believe that Meryl will win for the latter. Then again, part of me thinks that Jeff Bridges could walk away a winner for his portrayal of a down-and-out country singer in Crazy Heart. (I have a tendency to root for the underdog.) Finally, several really good TV shows are nominated this year. I think it's a big toss-up in all small-screen categories. However, I think 30 Rock (my money's definitely on this one for best comedy-- love Alec Baldwin, Tina Fey, and Jane Krakowski!) and Mad Men will score major victories. Well, folks, those were my predictions for the 2010 Golden Globes. We shall see how right (or wrong) they are.

No comments: