Sunday, August 16, 2009

Silver Linings

Okay, I'm trying this new thing where I'm trying to put a positive spin on everything. I think "reality" is largely the result of individual perception and perspective. Take, for example, the brouhaha that has ensued over the president's health care plan. I think that problem is starting to resolve itself. I heard on the news a few minutes ago that President Obama is considering dropping the public option altogether. I think this could possibly quell the protests (which, ironically, have been staged at these townhall meetings by insurance companies and Big Pharma) and help the president compromise with and silence critics of his proposed health care policies. (Trust me, y'all, this ain't my final word on this issue!) On a personal note, things have been less than ideal in the Ashleyverse jobwise, but there's a silver lining there, too. I believe that the reason this is happening is that it's simply time for me to move on. Everyone's life has its share of rainstorms, but by trying to weather them vis-a-vis a positive outlook, we can often find the proverbial silver lining of our personal clouds.
In totally non-sequitur news, continuing on the musical anniversary theme, today is the 32nd anniversary of the death of the King of Rock 'n' Roll-- Elvis Presley. Presley died on August 16, 1977, at his Memphis mansion-- Graceland. I can't say that I'm a huge Elvis fan, but I do like his later songs-- especially "In the Ghetto" and "Suspicious Minds."
Also, legendary guitarist Les Paul passed away Thursday at age 94. Paul inspired countless musicians, including Eric Clapton, B.B. King, the Rolling Stones' uber-eccentric (in a good way) lead guitarist Keith Richards, Queen's Brian May, U2's Dave Evans a.k.a. The Edge, and former Guns 'n' Roses axeslinger Saul "Slash" Hudson. Adieu, Les!

No comments: