Thursday, August 13, 2009

Review and Discussion of The Monstrous Regiment of Women, Pt. 1

Alright, for the past week or so, I've been talking about this movie I watched recently that's called The Monstrous Regiment of Women, based on a 1558 essay by Scottish Protestant minister John Knox, who decried leadership by women in the wake of Mary I (a.k.a. Mary, Queen of Scots or "Bloody Mary"), a fervent Catholic who ordered the mass murder of recalcitrant Protestants. (And we all know that men from Knox's part of the world are renowned for their even temperaments!) Today, I'm going to discuss it. There were many aspects of this doumentary that I found disturbing, so I'll try to keep this as brief and succinct as possible. (Note: I have so much to say about this film that I will write this review in several weekly installments.)
For starters, the film featured a panel of commentators who subscribe to the Christian patriarchy lifestyle. These women claim to be anti-feminists and professional mommies and homemakers and denounce women who who work outside the home and hold positions of power. (The term "monstrous regiment" is used here to refer to today's feminists.) The problem I have with this is that most of the commentators, including Texan (sigh) narrator Emily Gunn-- whose husband, Colin (a Scotsman, incidentally), produced and directed the film-- actually profit from this lifestyle. Another prominent voice featured on the film is that of the undisputed queen of the anti-feminist movement-- Eagle Forum founder Phyllis Schlafly. Mrs. Schlafly was once a high-paid lawyer who profits greatly from her work with the GOP, Religious Right, and the Eagle Forum, rendering her a hypocrite deluxe. Also, two of the other women featured-- Jennie Chancey and Stacy MacDonald-- have written numerous books, run Websites, and conduct conferences about being "Godly women." Of course, all the commentators take turns ridiculing Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. For example, one major bone of contention is that Hillary only has one child. Does the number of children a woman has automatically determine how good or bad a mother she is? I think not. This leads to my next point: The opinions expressed throughout the documentary are basically illogical. I will discuss this matter further sometime next week.

No comments: