Sunday, February 14, 2010

On the Agenda for Valentine's Day 2010

Okay, St. Valentine's Day is upon us once again, and I'm single once again. Although I occasionally feel-- a la Liz Lemon-- that this day is a marketing ploy designed by greeting card companies, I remain optimistic that I will eventually be struck by Cupid's arrow. Thus, I've devised a number of alternative ways to view this lovers' holiday/Hallmark marketing ploy. Instead of getting bogged down by my temporary state of singledom (which isn't necessarily always a bad thing, BTW), I've chosen to view February 14 as a universal celebration of all kinds of love-- romantic, self love and appreciation, love for your fellow human beings, etc.

In addition, I do allow myself to indulge the hopeless romantic in me. For instance, I watch romantic comedies, especially my fave-- Elizabethtown. There are countless other decent films in this genre as well. I also listen to great love songs. Again, those are far too numerous to mention here. (IMHO, the Beatles' "Something" and Eric Clapton's "Layla" rank among the best of the best.) And, continuing on the universal love theme, I think the Fab Four's "All You Need Is Love" and Bob Marley's "One Love/People Get Ready" are amazing Valentine's Day/universal love anthems. For those enduring break-ups, anything by Bobby D fits the bill. I highly recommend anything by Motown legend Marvin Gaye for those fortunate enough to be in a passionate, fulfilling relationship (or those who will be someday). In terms of apropo literature, you can't go wrong with Jane Austen and the Bronte sisters. Likewise, poetry by the British masters, namely Shakespeare and Coleridge, are practically required reading on this day. Shakespeare's sonnets and plays, such as Romeo and Juliet and A Midsummer Night's Dream, are perfect for setting the romantic mood. Coleridge's "The Ballad of the Dark Ladie" is quite possibly the most beautiful love poem ever written. I was going to suggest the works of Francis Petrarch, but I think some his stuff could be construed as 'stalker material' in this day and age. Then again, you could always go the all-American route with a masterpiece like Gone with the Wind. Last but certainly not least, Dante's The Divine Comedy is both romantic in nature and Italian in origin-- the ideal combo! Speaking of Italian, what's Valentine's Day without Italian cuisine? You've gotta have at least a little pasta, wine, and chocolate to make it official. So, that's how I'm spending Valentine's Day '10. Perhaps by next year, all my virtual romantic pleasures and pursuits will translate into actual ones.

No comments: