Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Edition Number Whatever of Wacky Wednesday World News

Okay, there's tons of stuff I want to talk about today, and I'll attempt to do so. The information I'm about to impart comes from a variety of sources.

First of all, I read some news items on thedailybeast.com earlier today that really piqued my interest. For instance, former Democratic Texas representative Charlie Wilson, subject of the eponymous 2007 film, starring Tom Hanks in the title role, has died at age 76. Pennsylvania rep Jack Murtha (D), one of the most outspoken critics of Dubya's invasion of Iraq, has also passed away. He was 77. Also, the GOP is trying to make Sarah Palin its 2012 presidential nominee. Once again, it ain't gonna happen, folks-- especially in light of Saturday night's spectacle! Finally, Iran's opposition is poised for another revolution. Personally, I think Iran is one country in which the U.S. can make a difference in terms of peacefully spreading democracy. President Obama has expressed genuine interest in doing so. Of course, the Repubs won't hear of it. What's more is that the December 20 death of of Iranian opposition leader Montazeri, a strong proponent of the up-and-coming generation's use of technology to usher in a new era of freedom, has seriously complicated this process. We must remain vigilant in regards to this matter.

Secondly, speaking of Dec. 20, 2009, deaths, I watched the episode of Larry King Live with Brittany Murphy's husband, Simon Monjack, and her mother, Sharon. No disrespect to Mr. Monjack in his time of grief and bereavement, but he is one odd duck. (Is it just me, or has LKL become synonymous with "freak show"?) A couple days later, Larry had soon-to-be ex-South Carolina first lady Jenny Sanford on his show. Um, Mark has issues, to say the least!

Finally, I read the Feb. 15, 2010, isssue of PEOPLE Magazine cover to cover. The cover story is the severely premature birth of Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar's 19th child, Josie. I'm sorry, but there really is such thing as having too many kids, and Jim Bob and Michelle are right-wing religious nuts-- plain and simple. It was, however, another item that really caught my eye: the passing of Howard Zinn, author of the bestseller A People's History of the United States and liberal commentator. Mr. Zinn, who was 87 and died in Santa Monica, Calif., on January 27, garnered praise from progressives and criticism, namely charges of anti-Americanism, from conservatives. IMHO, Zinn was a true American hero. R.I.P. Howard (1922-2010).

So, that concludes this edition of Wacky Wednesday World News. I'm sure there will be much more to observe and report on-- and I certainly will. Therefore, stay tuned & peace out!

No comments: