Saturday, February 13, 2010

More Winter Olympics-Related Stuff

Well, folks, I watched the opening ceremonies of the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver last night. What can I say? They were awesome! The parade of nations was interesting, and I was particularly fascinated by the fact that many countries are participating the winter games for the first time ever. Also, I've always liked the message of the olympics: nations with deep political and religious differences coming together for one cause: to represent their country and spread universal goodwill through athletic prowess.

As for the ceremony itself, the entire program was amazing. (Honestly, I can overlook the technical gaffe with Wayne Gretzky and the Olympic torch and cauldrons at the end.) I really enjoyed how each of Canada's diverse cultures (English, French, Native Canadians, Newfies, etc.) was represented. From the Native Canadian music and dances to the Newfoundland fiddler to the salute to Canada's endless prairies to the homage to the host city (the first located in British Columbia-- or Western Canada), it all rocked. If I were going to visit Canada, I think I'd spend most of my time in Newfoundland!

Of course, the games opened amid tragedy. Georgian luger Nodar Kumarita-Shivili, 21, died during a practice run. (The death has been ruled the result of human error; Vancouver's luge track is reported to be the most dangerous in the world.) There was a lovely tribute in the form of a moment of silence during the program. Perhaps the greatest tribute of all is that the games will continue despite this tragedy. That is true Olympian spirit.

No comments: