Thursday, October 29, 2009

Various Halloween-Related Items

Alright, I've got various Halloween-y things to share with y'all today. Last year at this time, I was so preoccupied with the election that I didn't think of doing anything related to fall's first big holiday here. Accordingly, I'm going to make up for lost time this year.
First of all, I want to remind y'all that the Travel Channel is airing a live marathon of Ghost Adventures tomorrow night during which the crew will travel to the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum in Weston, West Virginia, where it will try to detect supernatural phenomena and summon the spirits of souls trapped between this world and the next. Speaking of supernatural phenomena, I may possibly have experienced a little of it myself. I won't go so far as to say that I'm a believer, but I think there might be some activity in the house I grew up in. I won't go any further, as I don't want to destroy my street cred with my fellow "academics." LOL!
Secondly, I want to relay a cutesy lil' anecdote from an Ashleyverse Halloween past. Three years ago, I assembled a few odds 'n' ends from the bottom of my closet, including a zebra-print top, an old mini-skirt, and some knee-high boots. (I think y'all have a basic understanding of the concept here.) Anyway, I went to a party at my Aunt Cindy's house. While I was in the kitchen, getting something to eat and drink, my then-six-year-old cousin, Maryn, came up to me and asked, "Are you a businesslady?" I replied by quipping, "Well, yeah, honey, a certain type of businesslady!" We both giggled upon recognizing the similarities in each other's senses of humor.
In addition, I'll let y'all in on what I'm doing this year. I'm attending the grand opening of Cindy's new store tomorrow night. I'm so excited for her. She is, as Thoreau advises readers, going confidently in the direction of her dreams and living the life she imagined.
Finally, I'm not dressing up this year, but I guess I could suggest a few costume ideas. I personally believe that the creative, original, gathering-odds-and-ends approach is, in the spirit of the times in which we're living, the way to go. Of course, one could always adapt the Adam Sandler approach of devising recession-friendly disguises in the form of goofy, wacky characters, like "Crazy Guy/Gal Under the Desk" and "Crazy Newspaper Face." How's that for timely, socially conscious suggestions?

No comments: