Friday, October 16, 2009

The Louisiana Interracial Marriage Case: A Sad Day in America

I know y'all have probably heard about the Louisiana interracial marriage case. This is a sad day in America. I've been writing a lot about how the South is changing for the better, but now I feel that I may have spoken too soon. Hopefully, many brave souls will step up to the plate and help overturn this unjust ruling.
For those who've been living in a cave recently, what happened is that Louisiana Judge Keith Bardwell denied an interracial couple a marriage license. Folks, we cannot afford to allow this to become another Plessy v. Ferguson-- an 1896 Louisiana-originated case that went to the U.S. Supreme Court, which ruled on behalf of the so-called constitutionality of racial segregation. (For more history and details on this case, Wikipedia it, folks. I'm too dang tired to go into it in depth right now. Then again, isn't that history teachers' job? Hmm...) Personally, I think Judge Bardwell should be disbarred.

No comments: