Wednesday, September 30, 2009

British Literature Paper Update, Part Deux

Well, folks, I got some suggestions back from my professor about how I can make my paper grad-assistant app worthy. The major issue he had with the paper is that I did fine in terms of assimilating my sources and incorporating "expert" opinions about the play, but I censored myself as far as expressing my own viewpoint. (Have I entered a parallel Ashleyverse?) I think the problem is that I allowed my personal life to get in the way while I was writing this sucker. I had just had a minor conflict with a family member, and I suppose I didn't want to be any more controversial than I was perceived to be at the time. (This lil' altercation occurred when I verbally disagreed with a (male) family member on a serious egotrip.) Another issue with said paper was that I reverted to my stream-of-consciousness, Texas-y colloquialism in certain places. I think my fellow G.R.I.T.S (Girls Raised in the South) Club members out there can understand and appreciate this: You always process your thoughts and ideas in your "native tongue"-- and they sometimes come out that way, even if you don't necessarily want them to. (You can take the girl out of Texas...) Anyway, he just told me to tighten up my style a bit. Overall, he thought my work thus far is a "decent start." I guess I can live with that! I'm going to tweak the paper tonight, using the proposed improvement suggestions, and will hand it in tomorrow evening during class. I have to get ready for work now, so I'm through rantin' for the time being. Y'all come back now, ya hear!

No comments: