Monday, April 27, 2009

A "Vintage" Poem & New "Experimental" Material Announcement

The following is a poem I wrote last summer. It commemorates now-President Obama's DNC acceptance speech. I allude to the parallels between the prez and Ole Abe. I also get in a jab or two at McCain and his lack of empathy toward the American populace. Most importantly, this speech was delivered on Aug. 28, 2008-- the 45th anniversary of MLK's "I Have a Dream" speech. So, read, enjoy, and reflect.
"The Dream: Still Unfulfilled"
By Lysistrata*
Forty-five years ago, a great man gave a great speech
Five years later, his life was ended by a bullet
But his legacy lives on
But what about the Dream?
Are we really living it?
Today another great man is giving great speeches, hoping to become this nation's next leader
On the steps of the building in which another great man decided to try to change America, this man chastises his competitor for having seven kitchen tables, when so many can't afford to put food on one
So, are we really living the Dream?
You decide...
*Lysistrata is my stage name. This is in honor of the title character of the Greek anti-war play by Aristophanes.
SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT!!!
Since I will be resuming my studies at my alma mater this summer, I will also be resuming my unofficial career as a spoken-word artist. My fall class is on Thursday afternoons/evenings; therefore, I will be able to perform at Jackson Avenue Coffee (the JAC to patrons) on a weekly basis. Because our side won the November election (yay!), I feel that I can afford to vary my subject matter from political commentary to more, um, experimental stuff. Incidentally, in the Ashleyverse, "experimental" is basically code for "non-political" and/or "personal." Think really edgy love poetry. I will preview my new material right here on this blog as soon as it's written (or perhaps whenever it first enters my stream of consciousness-- which is always interesting). I hope y'all enjoyed this literary retrospective.
Peace, Love, & Happiness,
Ashley (a.k.a. "Lysistrata")

No comments: