Saturday, April 18, 2009

Earthquake Memories and Other Minutia

One year ago today, Central and Southern Illinois were hit by a string of rather massive earthquakes. The first one hit in the wee hours of the morning of April 18, 2008. I had been partying up in Charleston the previous evening. The last song I heard on the radio while driving back down to Olney was, oddly enough, Carole King's "I Feel the Earth Move"! At around 2 a.m., I'm lying in bed in a twilight state and that tune starts going through my head. (Clarification: I only had one beer at the club on the evening of April 17 and did not ingest any other substances.) Suddenly, the earth really did start moving. I realized that I was indeed experiencing an earthquake-- a big one. I don't know what it registered on the Richter Scale, but it was pretty dang serious. Throughout the following week, there were a series of smaller aftershocks.
In other news, today is the third anniversary of the birth of Suri Cruise and Grier Henchy, daughters of Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes (a.k.a. TomKat) and Brooke Shields and Chris Henchy, respectively. TomKitten and Pretty Baby were born in the same L.A. hospital within a very short amount of time of one another on April 18, 2006. Of course, Cruise and Shields were in a war of words over devout Scientologist Cruise's very public ridicule of Shields' use of drugs to combat post-partum depression after the birth of older daughter Rowan. Hmmm... so that's why they call it Hollyweird!!!
Last night, I stayed up super late and watched "Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen (1983)," the big M*A*S*H (1972-83) series finale on TVLand. Good stuff! I especially enjoyed the parts where Klinger proposes to his Korean girlfriend and Hawkeye and B.J. say goodbye by reminiscing about their antics and hijinks in the 4077th. So funny and cute!
Finally, the First Puppy has been officially confirmed. He's a Portuguese water dog, a gift from Sen. Ted Kennedy (D-MA). The Obama Girls have named the presidential pooch "Bo," in honor of their cousins' cat and maternal grandfather, who was often called "Bo Diddley," after the great blues artist.

No comments: