Sunday, April 12, 2009

My Easter Sunday Plans, Plus a Festive Recipe for Y'all

To celebrate Easter Sunday, I'm going over to my mom's to-- you guessed it-- eat! (There's just no gettin' 'round the food thing on holidays when you're a Southern gal.) Anywho, I'm making a cheese ball. Accordingly, I'm gonna share the recipe with y'all. It's a Better Homes & Gardens "Favorite" recipe. My entire family, especially my brother, loves it. It's perfect for any occasion.
Smoky Cheese Ball:
Ingredients:
2 8-oz. packages cream cheese
2 c. finely shredded smoked cheddar, Swiss, or Gouda cheese
1/2 c. butter or margarine
2 tblsps. milk
2 tsps. steak sauce (I prefer to substitute liquid smoke.)
1 c. finely chopped nuts (Being from the Lone Star State, I'm partial to pecans.)
Assorted crackers
Preparation:
1. In a mixing bowl let cream cheese, shredded cheese, and butter stand at room temperature for 30 mins. Add milk and steak sauce (or liquid smoke); beat until fluffy. Cover and chill for 4-24 hrs.
2. Shape mixture into a ball; roll in nuts. Let stand for 15 mins. Serve with crackers.
Enjoy!
(Note: I recommend doing Step 1 the night before the big event.)
Source: Better Homes & Gardens New Cook Book, Limited Edition, p. 67. Des Moines, Iowa: Meredith Books, 2007.
As for that other Southern passion, Jesus, reference Matthew 5:9 for how to celebrate this sacred day.

No comments: