Saturday, April 4, 2009

"I've been to the mountaintop."

Today is a very sad anniversary. At 6:01 p.m. on April 4, 1968, Martin Luther King was assasssinated by a single bullet from a rifle in Memphis, Tennessee, while standing on the second-floor balcony of the Lorraine Motel. King was participating in a strike by African-American sanitation workers, who were protesting their low wages, which were far below those of white city sanitation workers. King was staying in Room 306 of the motel, which was nicknamed the "King-Abernathy Suite" because he and friend and fellow minister/activist Ralph Abernathy had stayed there so many times. James Earl Ray was eventually convicted of the assassination.
On April 3, 1968, King addressed a crowd at the Mason Temple (Headquarters of Church of God in Christ) following a bomb threat against King's plane. Here, he delivered his "I've Been to the Mountaintop" speech, which became his final sermon and is now regarded as eerily prophetic.
Below is an excerpt of the speech. It is as follows:
"And then I got to Memphis. And some began to say the threats... or talk about the threats that were out. What would happen to me from some of our sick white brothers? Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't matter to me now. Because I've been to the mountaintop. [applause] And I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to know God's will. And he's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over and I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land! [applause] And I'm so happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord!"
Wow!
I suppose one positive way to look at this is to examine a quote from Elizabethtown. In one of the road-trip scenes, Claire (Kirsten Dunst) says to Drew (Orlando Bloom), when she instucts him to visit the Lorraine Motel via CD, "His [Dr. King's] death was only the beginning of his victory." Yeah, that's how I like to look at it.

No comments: