Sunday, April 5, 2009

Thoughts on Christianity in America on Palm Sunday, 2009

Today is Palm Sunday, the day that Christ rode into Jerusalem on a donkey. Below is a list of quotes and some of my own random thoughts about Christianity in America.
Quotes & Commentary:
1.) "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."-- Gandhi: How sad but true! Personally, I think this situation is improving a bit.
2.) "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."-- Sinclair Lewis: Again, I believe the danger of this happening has fortunately lessened.
3.) "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall inherit the kingdom of God."-- Jesus Christ (exerpted from "The Sermon on the Mount") (Matthew 5:9 NIV): This is the reason why we're here.
4.) "Most importantly, love one another. People will know you are my followers if you love one another."-- Christ, speaking to his disciples (John 13:34 & 35 NIV): Heeding this commandment is the true essence of living a Christian or any type of moral life.
5.) "JESUS DIDN'T RIDE AN ELEPHANT!"-- an interesting bumper sticker I found on http://www.cafepress.com/. Needless to say, I found it amusing.

No comments: