Friday, April 24, 2009

Update on My Foray into Graduate Studies

I took a step toward the future today. I registered for grad school classes. On Monday and Wednesday evenings this summer, beginning June 15, I'm taking a class called ENG 5005: Studies in Nineteenth-Century British Literature. This class is commonly referred to as "Romanticism." According to the EIU course catalog, I'll be reading, along with a couple other classic novels, Mary Shelley's cautionary tale of what happens when we tamper with Mother Nature-- Frankenstein (1818 (pub. anonymously); 1831). I think this book is quite timely, given all the current debates over the ethics of genetic engineering and human cloning. As an undergrad, I took a world lit. class and read Aldous Huxley's sci-fi classic A Brave New World (1913). Freaky! I think sci-fi writers are brilliant visionaries. Anywho, I'm really excited about starting grad school. Ultimately, I want to become a full-fledged English professor and specialize in teaching nineteenth-century American literature.

No comments: