Saturday, May 2, 2009

What I'm Listening to on My Road of Life

As y'all already know, I love music. The following is a list of my "Lucky Seven" CDs. When I listen to these while cruisin' up (or down) Rt. 130 in my Volkswagen Passat, there's absolutely no way-- especially when the weather's great-- that I can have a bad day. The list of CDs I'm currently listening to, along with characteristic commentary, in my car is as follows:
1.) Bob Marley and the Wailers-- Legend (Island Records, Inc., 1984): I listen to this truly legendary reggae compilation when I'm in a lame mood in order to pick myself up. Songs like "Is This Love" and "Three Little Birds," as well as "One Love/People Get Ready," always do the trick. The CD also features the awesome live-from-the-London-Lyceum version of "No Woman No Cry." I prefer to play this CD in the wintertime as a reminder that better days are ahead. I was first turned on to Marley by two college friends, cute male foreign exchange students from the Caribbean and the Netherlands, and was immediately hooked.
2.) The Black Crowes-- Greatest Hits 1990-1999: A Tribute to a Work in Progress... (SONY BMG MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT, 2000): Y'all probably guessed I'd throw some good ole Southern rock in there! You can't go wrong with the Crowes' cover of Chris and Rich's fellow Georgia Boy Otis Redding's (Mr. "Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay" himself) "Hard to Handle," "Twice As Hard," "Jealous Again," & every Dixie Gal's theme song-- "She Talks to Angels."
3.) Cat Stevens-- The Very Best of Cat Stevens (Universal-Island Records Ltd.-- a division of A&M Records, 2000): This one has a lot of sentimental value for me. My dad, who owned a record store in the early 70s, used to play Stevens' tunes "Moonshadow" and "Morning Has Broken" around the house when I was little. (This was done to mellow me out! LOL!) In addition to those beautiful songs, I love "The First Cut Is the Deepest," "I've Got a Thing About Seeing My Grandson Grow Old," "Wild World," "Where Do the Children Play?," "The Wind," "Peace Train," "Oh Very Young," and "Another Saturday Night."
4.) Various Artists-- Elizabethtown: Music from the Motion Picture (SONY BMG MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT, 2005): I've oft rhapsodized about this soundtrack and the film it accompanies. My fave tunes have got to be Ryan Adams' "Come Pick Me Up," Elton John's "My Father's Gun," eastmountainsouth's "Hard Times," Patty Griffin's "Long Ride Home," Jeff Finlin's "Sugar Blue," Tom Petty's "Square One," and I Nine's "Same in Any Language." The perfect roadtrip-across-America CD!
5.) Bob Dylan-- The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan (Columbia Records, 1963; 2003): This is the Bard's socially conscious sophomore effort. It includes classics, such as "Blowin' in the Wind," "Masters of War," "A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall," "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right," "Oxford Town," and "Talkin' World War III Blues." The sound and subject matter might be a bit dated for some listeners, but the themes and message are timeless and as relevant as ever.
6.) George Harrison-- Brainwashed (Capitol Records, Inc., 2002): This collection was released posthumously. The "Quiet One" collaborated with his look-alike/sound-alike son, Dhani, prior to his 2001 death from cancer. In addition to the title track, "Any Road," "P2 Vatican Blues (Last Saturday Night)," "Pisces Fish," "Looking for My Life," and "Stuck Inside a Cloud" are particularly awesome. With its heavily spiritual lyrics, Brainwashed is an ideal yoga CD.
7.) George Harrison-- All Things Must Pass (Capitol Records, Inc., 1970; 2001): The first hit album from an ex-Beatle, ATMP was re-released following Gorgeous George's passing. This two-disc set contains so many great songs that I may have to have a separate post to discuss it. If I had to narrow it down, though, I'd have to say that my faves are the title track, "My Sweet Lord," "What Is Life," "Beware of Darkness," "Awaiting on You All," "Art of Dying," "Hear Me Lord," and "If Not For You," which was written by Bobby D and is the greatest love song ever. There is also a five-song set of guitar jams that showcase Harrison's enormous talent. Like Fab Four bandmate John Lennon's solo masterpiece Imagine, ATMP is a brilliant, Phil Spector-produced effort, complete with the signature "Wall of Sound."

No comments: