Monday, May 11, 2009

More Thoughts on Quiverfull and Pledged

Well, folks, I'm continuing my reading of Quiverfull and Pledged. I must say that both books are becoming increasingly disturbing with each turn of the page. For example, in the Quiverfull movement, the women have this weird lingo; they refer to themselves as "helpmeets" and "Prairie Muffins." Now, how demeaning are those labels? Also, young women who cannot reproduce for health reasons are advised by their groups' "spiritual leaders" to not marry, since there's no way they could please a prospective husband. Like those of us who live in the Real World don't have enough pressure exerted upon us! Finally, and most disturbingly, there's a strong natalist (read: white supremacist) aspect within the movement. BTW, America's "favorite" Quiverfullers, the Duggars, are briefly mentioned in the book, and are believed to be "liberal" by many followers' standards. The use of the words "Duggar" and "liberal" used in tandem with one another is scary in and of itself.
As for Pledged, well, I just don't get the whole sorority thing. I think it defeats the whole purpose of going off to college, which is to find oneself. You can't do that very effectively if you have an organization dictating your every move.
To conclude my rant, I know it's not my place to judge the lifestyle choices of others. I don't know exactly why some women want to live such a safe, controlled existence-- but it's their perogative if they choose to do so. I know one thing for sure, though: I couldn't exist within either the Quiverfull or the sorority world. I prefer to live (subtle difference there!) in the Real World-- along with all its problems.

No comments: