Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Life in a Pressure Cooker

In my discussion from a couple of days ago of the books I'm currently reading, I alluded to the pressure young women living in the Real World are under these days. Well, I often feel that pressure. I have to admit that I sometimes feel overwhelmed by society's standards in regards to how women should look and act. I also feel pressure to be academically and financially successful. When this pressure gets to me, I try to think of ways to create positive energy in my sphere. For example, I write, read good books, watch good movies, practice yoga and meditation, and surround myself with and talk to positive people (and try to avoid negative ones). More importantly, when I feel really down, I take inventory of my intellectual talents, attributes, and spiritual gifts and try to accept my quirks and weaknesses as part of the unique individual I am. I'm not perfect, and I should stop trying to be so. Of course, that's much easier said than done.

No comments: