Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Research Paper Proposal

For my ENG 5005 research paper/project, I have decided to write about the life and works of Thomas Paine. Paine was a very controversial figure for various reasons. Accordingly, I think a fundamental question I should try to answer is: 'Why was Thomas Paine such a controversial figure?' Also, I want to explore the ways in which Paine differed from and was similar to his peers. For example, I could compare and contrast Paine against someone like William Blake. More specifically, Paine was a proponent of reason over faith. Blake, on the other hand, had mystical tendencies. I suppose another question I could explore is: 'Was Paine a Romantic? Why or why not?' Finally, I want to discuss and explore Paine's views on revolution and revolutionary ideas-- both in the U.S. and Europe.
In order to conduct this all-important research and answer the burning questions I posed above, I have selected a working bibliography of apropos texts. These include-- but are not exclusive to: Paine's The Rights of Man and The Age of Reason, Edmund Burke's (one of Paine's chief critics) Reflections on the Revolution in France, Blake's Songs of Innocence and of Experience, and some books about the French Revolution. Last but not least, I want to compare and contrast Paine's and Blake's views on specific issues, namely social hierarchy, religion, poverty, and the role of government in creating an idealized or flawed society. Ultimately, I want to argue that the works of both writers are relevant to current events.

No comments: