Monday, June 1, 2009

Madonna Monday

Okay, I've been powerwalking for almost three weeks now. To keep myself motivated, I listen to music while I workout. I've discovered that the most inspiring tunes to listen to when I walk are those by Madonna. Four of the Material Girl's CDs in particular get me movin'. They are:
1.) Ray of Light-- I had this on cassette-- yes, kiddos, I'm that old!-- back in the day (read: late 90s) and played it non-stop during workouts, especially yoga, the entire summer ('98, to be exact) between high school graduation and freshman year of college. My fave tunes, besides the title track, are: "Drowned World/Substitute for Love," "Frozen," "Sky Fits Heaven," and "The Power of Good-Bye." This is the greatest Madonna album, IMHO.
2.) Music-- This CD was released when I was a junior at EIU. I remember hearing the title track played over and over on the radio in my dorm's computer lab. Needless to say, this pulled me through a lot of all-nighter study/paper-writing sessions. "Don't Tell Me" and "What It Feels Like for a Girl"-- the ultimate female empowerment anthem-- were a couple of my treadmill tunes in the university rec center.
3.) The Immaculate Collection-- What can I say? A killer retospective of classic (80s-early 90s) pop genius. You can't go wrong with "Like A Virgin," "Material Girl," "Papa Don't Preach," "Like A Prayer," "Express Yourself," "Vogue," and "Justify My Love."
4.) GHV2-- This second volume of Madge's greatest hits is basically as good as the original. The best song on this disc, IMHO, is "Beautiful Stranger." It's so much fun!

No comments: