Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Notes on My Revisitation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice

I mentioned yesterday that the very first novel I'm reading for my summer school class is Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice (1813; 1817). I read it back in high school. Quite honestly, I didn't care for it too much back in the day. A few years ago, I saw one of the movie versions of the story. I thought it was wonderful. (Then again, watching Colin Firth-- who played Mr. Darcy in the more popular of the two film adaptations-- wasn't such a bad deal, either.) Anyway, on my second reading, I'm enjoying and appreciating the book much more. I love the fact that Ms. Austen's female characters are strong women, particularly Lizzy Bennet. I especially love it when she tells off Mr. Darcy and rejects his marriage proposal. Ultimately, Mr. Darcy falls in love with Lizzy for her tenacity and outspokenness. Thus, Lizzy Bennet is a true Romantic heroine.

No comments: