Friday, June 12, 2009

More Disturbing Info from Quiverfull

Well, I've just about completed my reading of Quiverfull. Trust me, it's beyond disturbing. I'm sorry, but I just don't understand how any self-respecting woman could be a part of this movement. Apparently, author Kathryn Joyce feels the same way. Throughout the course of her research, Joyce tries to figure out the reasons why the women of the Quiverfull Movement live this lifestyle. The only explanation she's offered is, "It's God's will." Overall, I think Joyce comes away feeling sorry for these women and that they're for the most part brainwashed by the men in their lives. The main issue appears to be that these women just have incredibly low self-esteem. I've gotta say that I agree with Joyce's assessment. Perhaps the most disturbing thing to me is that if something should happen to a Quiverfull family's father figure, the women and children are basically screwed. Quiverfull women are absolutely forbidden from attaining higher education and working outside the home. Much abuse occurs within the movement, and the women who do speak out are shunned and, in some cases, suffer much worse fates. For example, Andrea Yates, that Texas woman who drowned her five children in their bathtub in the summer of 2001 in order to "save them from going to Hell," was under the mind control of Michael Woroniecki, a rabid fundamentalist street preacher who advocated the Quiverfull lifestyle. Andrea was already mentally ill, and her situation of being placed on a constant guilt trip about not being the ideal Christian woman only made things worse. I don't see how this is conducive to living a pro-life ethos. Then, there are the Duggars, but that's a whole other post. It seems to me that a lot of Quiverfull parents are only concerned about being "Godly" as opposed to the well-being of their many children. IMHO, being pro-life does not end with a child's birth. Oh, and one more thing: Quiverfullers are big proponents of the "culture war," use heavy-duty militaristic metaphors and imagery to advance their agenda, and are literally breeding armies to send into battle against "Godless (i.e. Muslim)" countries in order to fight an actual Holy War-- the biggest oxymoron. I don't know about y'all, but I'm not too keen on the idea of spending nine months to bring a pristine baby into the world, raising him or her for 18 years, and then sending my child off to be killed, maimed, and/or psychologically destroyed. Not to sound trite or corny, but children are the future, so we must ensure that they have the best quality of life possible and prepare them for real life-- which means not raising them in a cultish, degrading (especially to girls) lifestyle. As I've said before in regards to the "Real World," it's often ugly and at times dangerous, but it's preferable to living in the Religious Right's self-styled Narnia.

No comments: