Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Exercise DVDs I'm Doing This Week

In addition to my walking regimen, I'm doing a few exercise DVDs. Below, I will discuss them.
DVDs & Comments:
1.) The Firm: Body Sculpting Basics: This is the very first Firm workout. Originally released in 1986, this is as retro as retro gets in terms of exercise videos. Master instructor Susan Harris leads a leg-warmer-wearing, big-haired, day-glow-leotard-clad class through an hour-long dumbbell-based sculpting routine that is anything but basic. When I first did this five years ago, I couldn't sit down for a week.
2.) Bryan Kest's Power Yoga: There are actually three very intense workouts on this DVD. First, "Energize" is by far the easiest routine. Here, beautiful Bryan leads you through a series of upward/downward dog vinyasas. Secondly, "Tone" is slightly more difficult. In this workout, you'll do more strenuous sequences and begin working on balance poses. Finally, "Sweat" is the ultimate power yoga challenge. You'll be treated to the hardest of the hard balance poses, backbends (yikes!), and yes, you'll sweat. The biggest treat, however, is looking at Kest's buff, half-nude bod. If that's not motivation, I don't know what is!
3.) Power Yoga Total Body with Rodney Yee: Zen Master Rodney Yee guides you one-on-one through a series of challenging yet meditative postures. This DVD was shot outdoors in a stunning location in Hawaii. Yee is on a mountaintop and surrounded by lush greenery and sparkling water. A magnificent waterfall is what always makes me want to do this workout.

No comments: