Saturday, February 14, 2009

"Mood Music" Review for This St. Valentine's Day

Awhile back, I reviewed the Cameron Crowe film Elizabethtown. I told y'all I loved it for its quirky romantic storyline. Well, folks, today I'm gonna discuss its soundtrack.
Track List, Artists, & Commentary:
1.) "60B (etown theme)"-- NANCY WILSON
This short overture was composed by Crowe's wife, Nancy Wilson, formerly one half of the sister duo Heart. It sets the tone for the film. BTW, Exit 60B doesn't run through Louisville. Ya'll would end up in Cincinnati if you took it.
2.) "It'll All Work Out"-- TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS
This is a lovely song from arguably one of the greatest rockers ever. It plays as Claire, Kirsten Dunst's character, first comes onto the screen.
3.) "My Father's Gun"-- ELTON JOHN
I love this song! It has a Southern rock/soul vibe, despite being sung by a British artist.
4.) "io (This Time Around)"-- HELEN STELLAR
This celestially themed selection accompanies Orlando Bloom's in-flight dream sequence. What can I say? This an interesting one, both in terms of melody and lyrics.
5.) "Come Pick Me Up"-- RYAN ADAMS
This is probably my fave track. Performed by alt-country god Adams, this tune accompanies what I consider to be the best part of the whole dang movie: the long, eclectic cell phone conversation between Bloom and Dunst.
6.) "Where To Begin"-- MY MORNING JACKET
I first saw the aforementioned band on SNL. They've got a great folksy/rootsy sound. As for this tune, the lyrics are great (and thought provoking!) as well. For example, one line goes: "It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes." Hmmm...
7.) "Long Ride Home"-- PATTY GRIFFIN
Gorgeous Appalachia-tinged bluegrass-y ballad with an interesting perspective on long-term romance.
8.) "Sugar Blue"-- JEFF FINLIN
One of several "road trip sequence" songs. (Claire makes Drew a mix tape to listen to on his journey home-- or to "the alternate plan.") Again, it's got that great all-American sound and distinctly Southern flavor. Definitely pop this in the CD player and discover this great nation of ours.
9.) "Don't I Hold You"-- WHEAT
Another road trip tune. It's easy to infer that this is about love gone wrong.
10.) "Shut Us Down"-- LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM
When I first heard this, I had no idea that it was being sung by the ex-Fleetwood Mac frontman. Really showcases Buckingham's musical talent and versatility.
11.) "Let It Out (Let It All Hang Out)"-- THE HOMBRES
The title says it all. This song is an absolute blast! You can't possibly be in a bad mood when you hear this.
12.) "Hard Times"-- eastmountainsouth
I constantly have this on repeat when I listen to this disc at home or in the car. The haunting melody and breathtaking lyrics won't leave your head any time soon. This is gritty reality straight out of America's backwoods and hollows. eastmountainsouth is absolutely worthy of street-cred from the Austin City Limits crowd.
13.) "Jesus Was A Crossmaker"-- THE HOLLIES
This is a classic-rock tune. It leads viewers to witness Drew's (Bloom) firing by his a**hole extraordinaire boss, Phil (Alec Baldwin).
14.) "Square One"-- TOM PETTY
Another beautiful Petty offering. I'm not for sure, but this sounds to me like a break-up and/or rehab song.
15.) "Same In Any Language"-- I NINE
This is a great song about the importance of international brother/sisterhood. Need I say more?
Y'all do yourselves a big ole favor and listen to this CD!
(There is a Vol. 2 to The Elizabethtown Soundtrack, which I'll probably review at a later date.)

No comments: