Saturday, February 28, 2009

Honoring the Master

I watched the coolest thing on TV last night. It was a PBS special about The Johnny Cash Show. The hosts talked about how truly ahead of its time it was. Anyway, the special featured performances by Bob Dylan, Ray Charles, Eric Clapton, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, and Neil Diamond, amongst many others. I've been a fan of the "Man in Black" ever since I saw Walk the Line. He was truly a rebel with a cause. As a result, his show didn't necessarily get high ratings from mainstream America; nevertheless, it introduced and/or cemented the enduring popularity of many artists, including the ones I mentioned above. In fact, Dylan, Charles, and almost all the American artists on the special have been featured on PBS' American Masters series. As for my fave Cash songs, it's a toss up between "The Man in Black," "I Walk the Line," "Ring of Fire," and "Jackson (Duet with June Carter)."

No comments: