Sunday, January 25, 2009

'There She Is...'

I watched Miss America 2009 last night. The pageant was broadcast live on TLC (The Learning Channel). I must say, I was pleasantly surprised. The show wasn't really all that pageant-y at all. The girls all seemed three-dimensional and "with it"-- not at all stereotypical. The majority of the contestants were actually highly intelligent. Miss Indiana was the eventual winner. I really liked her, although I was actually rooting for the first runner-up, Miss Georgia. Anyway, I think both the Miss America and Miss USA organizations have worked hard in recent years to combat the public pageant backlash by updating their programs via emphasis on the interview and talent segments and the contestants' platforms. And, speaking of TLC, the channel is currently airing a series of programs about child beauty pageants. As for my opinions on that topic, well, that's a different story. The whole JonBenet case has really creepified the kiddie pageant scene. Ever see Little Miss Sunshine? Great dark comedy/expose. That said, the new Miss America, Katie Stam, is an excellent role model for smart, accomplished young women.

No comments: