Saturday, January 31, 2009

Disturbing Things

Right now, I'm watching 17 Kids and Counting, that TLC show about the Duggar family, those people from Arkansas who now have 18 kids. I'm sorry, but that ain't right. No woman in her right mind would willingly do that to herself. And those poor girls! I mean, they have to practically raise their younger siblings, plus the mom, Michelle, home schools all the kids. On top of all that, the dad, Jim Bob, is a former Republican congressman. The Duggars are ultra-right-wing-y fundie fanatics, to say the least. I prefer the term "cult." I know this is America, and everyone is entitled to live however he or she wants, but I feel for those kids.
Speaking of right-wing fanaticism, did y'all happen to see Ted Haggard on Oprah this past week? Talk about creepy! I think Mrs. Haggard is a Stepford Wife Deluxe. She actually admitted that she sensed something was "off" with Ted during intimate situations. Okay, is the woman completely beaten down, braindead, completely lacking in women's intuition, or a combination of all three? Seriously! And don't even get me started on that daughter of theirs! I think what disturbed me the most, though, was that Ted continues the charade of living as a heterosexual man. I was taught that God loves us as is and that we should always be forthright. Thus, Haggard's behavior (not admitting to being gay, which isn't a choice for most people who are gay) is particularly reprehensible and contradictory, given his social position. Shame!

No comments: