Tuesday, March 2, 2010

My Reading List for 03/02/10

Hey! I've read the first few chapters of Moby Dick. So far, what I've read is fascinating, to say the least. Much of these initial chapters of the novel consists of narrator Ishmael's observations of his new surroundings and shipmates, especially those of a "strange, very dark" man named Queequeg. I know you're not supposed to evaluate historical events and value systems in a post-modern context, but 19th-century views of 'individuals of color' are, frankly, crazy and, well, downright ignorant. Of course, I suppose that kind of goes without saying nowadays. And, yes, I will continue my discussion of Herman Melville's loaded masterwork-- which actually began life as a critical flop-- in near-future posts.

More importantly, I'm gearing up for tonight's Am. lit. mid-term essay exam. (I have to write two essays in class and just completed the take-home portion of the test.) For the take-home part, I wrote about how Natty Bumppo, Frederick Douglass, and Hester Prynne all rebel against their societies and what the outcomes of those actions are. For example, I argue that Hawthorne's "proto-feminist heroine (my term!)" needed to rebel against the laws and mores of puritanical Salem, Mass., in order to fulfill her destiny and that she is ultimately successful in doing so. (Aside: I'm feeling very Hester Prynne-ish atm. Those who've read the book will get my drift.) Anyway, I've been hitting the books pretty hard the past few days, and my brain is about to explode. So, since I have to get ready to drag my weary butt up to Chucktown a little later on today, I'm signing off now. Namaste!

No comments: