Monday, March 8, 2010

Manic Monday News Round-up for 03/08/10

Hey, y'all! For starters today, I want to briefly discuss the 82nd Annual Academy Awards, which aired last night on ABC. Sandra Bullock proved her critics wrong and beat out the formidable Meryl Streep and Helen Mirren in order to win the Oscar for Best Actress in a Leading Role for The Blind Side. The Hurt Locker won Best Picture (I'm actually not surprised). The film's director, Katherine Bigelow (ex-wife of also-nominated Avatar director James Cameron!), made history for becoming the first woman to win in this category. Jeff Bridges won for Best Actor in a Leading Role for Crazy Heart, and Mo'Nique won the Best Supporting Actress Oscar for her riveting performance in Precious. Also, screenwriter Geoffrey Fletcher became the first African-American Best Adapted Screenplay award winner for that movie, which is based on the novel Push, written by Sapphire. All in all, it was a decent-- if not a bit lackluster-- telecast, and hosts Baldwin and Martin were very funny. I was most interested in the less-decorated nominees, especially the Coen Brothers (Fargo; O, Brother Where Art Thou?; Burn After Reading) film The Serious Man, which was nominated for best picture.

Now, for some more Ashleyverse news: I think that my naysayers have shut up and realized that it's futile to even try to quell my ambitions and aspirations. Aside from that, I'm just trying to enjoy my "spring break." Once again, on a positive note, I'm signing off. Namaste!

No comments: