Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Take-Home Essay Questions

Here are the questions I answered for my very first grad school take-home exam. The test was divided up into three sections, and we were instructed to answer one out of two or three prompts out of each. Tomorrow I'll discuss my answers to the three questions I selected to write about.
I. General perspectives and tendencies:
How does the contrast between "On the Death of Dr. Robert Levet" and "Extempore Effusion on the Death of James Hogg" epitomize the differences of the two literary eras, Neo-Classic and Romantic, eigteenth and nineteenth centuries?
II. Blake:
Discuss Innocence and Experience, showing how each perspective or spiritual state has positive aspects but is finally insufficient. For your examples of Innocence, use "The Chimney Sweeper" or "The Little Black Boy" or both. For your examples of Experience, use "London" or "The Chimney Sweeper" or both.
III. Wordsworth:
Making appropriate reference to The Prelude, explain what "spots of time" are, then relate the concept to at least three other poems of Wordsworth.
Wow, right? If y'all think that stuff's insane, you should read my answers!

No comments: