Wednesday, July 29, 2009

My Final Grade & Some Other Stuff

Well, folks, I had class tonight, and the moment of truth did indeed arrive. Leading up to that moment-- the tail-end of class-- I felt like a proverbial lamb to the slaughter. I got my paper back. Okay, here goes: I made a B. This is what Dr. K had to say: "Very good energy, but poor focus. This is too much a Wikipedia-style discussion pitched to people who have never heard of Paine, one that thus ends up saying a little bit about everything but not much about anything. Good job engaging your sources, but you go overboard with it, cramming in quote after quote, seeming to find everything equally interesting and relevant. In fact I do often find this informative. But you need to establish a much clearer line of argument and set of priorities, so that you're not just, in effect, dumping all your research on the reader's desk, in no particular order." Overall, I think this was a fair grade and assessment of my work. It's not perfect, but it's above average. I can certainly live with that! In tomorrow's post, I'll discuss the preceding comments-- along with my feelings about them-- in a much more in-depth manner. I'm way too tired (and oddly relieved!) to do that right now. In non-sequitur news, today was my parents' sort-of 30th wedding anniversary. (The sort-of part is a whole separate post.) That said, happy sort-of anniversary, Mom and Dad!

No comments: