Tuesday, March 10, 2009

On-the-Job Training

Well, listeners, I've been on the air twice this week. I worked yesterday afternoon and this morning. They've got me doing weather forecasts, discussing community happenings, introducing songs, and ID-ing artists. It's been a nerve-wracking yet fun (and paying!) experience. I'm learning a lot, too. For example, overnight broadcasts are conducted solely by satellite. I learned this after my mentor, Bobbie, told me that she heard my pre-recorded forecast during the early morning hours today and that I had gone a few seconds over. (Imagine that!) Anywho, that's a big deal during a satellite broadcast, since there's not an actual person there to switch the program mode from auto to manual. In other words, if a forecast or commercial runs overtime, it will overlap with music, which could alienate listeners and possibly cost corporate a lot of moola. Not a good situation! (Note to self: Just read highs, lows, and special weather conditions, not wind speeds, off script during pre-recorded forecasts. That's all audience cares about anyway.)

No comments: