Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Prairie-Hoosier-Lone Star-Sooner-Pelican-State Religious/Political Journey of a Christian, Patriot, Southern Belle, Democrat, & Obama Supporter

While conducting my daily political web search, I stumbled upon an intriguing article. This provocative piece is entitled "Young, evangelical...for Obama?" and was published in the Sunday, May 11, 2008, edition of The Seattle Times and written by staff reporter Haley Edwards. I couldn't believe my eyes! For much of my life, I've struggled to reconcile my liberal, Bohemian spirituality with the Religious Right's three-decade monopoly on American Christianity. According to Ms. Edwards' article, 15 percent of white Christians between 18 and 29, who traditionally support the GOP, say they no longer identify with the Republican Party. Edwards interviewed University of Washington communications instructor David Domke, who cites the unpopular Iraq War, Bush's low approval ratings, and the tanking economy as reasons for their country's fortunately shifting views regarding the link between politics and religion.
I, for one, couldn't agree with Domke and these so-called "political misfits" more. I grew up in "the buckle of the Bible Belt," otherwise known as Texas, raised by devout Disciples of Christ parents. The Disciples represent the progressive branch of Christianity. I was always encouraged to challenge everything I heard and read, including sermons and scripture. I realized I leaned toward the left following the August 1990 outbreak of the Persian Gulf War. One of our denomination's key teachings is that followers be peacemakers, which solidified my anti-war beliefs. In addition, my father, an engineer and sales and sales representative for an oil company, insisted we watch CNN 24/7 during this time. My mother and I would often engage in deep discussions about politics and religion, especially those pertaining to the moral implications of U.S. involvement in the Middle East. For these reasons, I became a questioning Christian.
When I was 12, we moved back to Illinois. (I was born in Olney, but I've lived in Indiana, Texas, Oklahoma, and Louisiana.) We eventually found a church similar to--albeit more conservative than--the one in Texas. The GOP gained control of Congress in 1994. Around this time, I began vocalizing my dissenting opinions during Wednesday night youth group meetings. Needless to say, this put me at odds with my more compliant peers. Thus began my love-hate relationship with organized religion, my crisis of faith.
In college, I went through the requisite rebellious phase, although I attended church with my family on weekends I was home from Eastern Illinois University. During the 2000 election, I was admittedly apathetic and didn't vote. Still, I was deeply saddened on Jan. 20, 2001, the day of George W. Bush's first inauguration. Then, on 9/11, I came to an immediate realization: I needed to become more involved in the political process. I quit school for a couple of years after that life-altering semester to "find myself." On March 19, 2003, the U.S. declared war on Iraq. It was on this horrible day that I discovered my calling-- to be a peace activist. I returned to Eastern for the fall 2004 semester. After Dubya's re-election, I began expressing myself more passionately than ever and became an active member of the EIU Chapter of College Democrats of America.
Today, as a 28-year-old English teacher, I am continuing to speak out against war, racism, environmental negligence, inequality, and social injustice. It is because of, not in spite of, my faith that I care about these issues. As a "values voter," I feel that Barack Obama is the presidential candidate who shares my beliefs. An advocate for persons of faith, Sen. Obama once said: "My faith shapes my values, but applying those values to policymaking must be done with principles that are accessible to all people, religious or not. Even so, those who enter the public square are not required to leave their beliefs at the door." This is why the Prairie State senator receives my vote.
DISCLAIMER: Okay, I kinda lied to y'all. I was actually born in Illinois, but I spent my formative years in the Lone Star State.

No comments: